Merritt Star Quest
Summer Star Quest 2020
August 15th to August 23rd 2020
DIRECTIONS TO LOON LAKE GRAVEL PIT
- WELCOME! Each year the Fraser Valley and Merritt Astronomical Societies host a large and roomy Star Party!
- If you're into camping and doing "all nighter's" under a canopy of stars, observing deep sky objects and the occasional planet
then this event is right up your alley!
- The event runs for a period of 8 days and 8 nights! Making it possible for those who can't make it for the entire event to at least have the weekends. Also should one weekend suffer bad weather, then the second or following weekend will hopefully take up the slack.
- But you're a hearty observer like so many others at this event then you're in good company! When the weather is spot on, it's really spectacular!
- Some have even considered the Milky Way as "Light Pollution!" So if you want to see the stars as Galileo saw them then this site and event is the place to be!
NOTICE: BE FOREWARNED: This event is at an elevation of 1158 metres ( 3800 feet). The weather at night can either be extremely comfortable (very warm) or it can drop to winter conditions (freezing). So be absolutely sure that you bring your winter weather clothing even though the temperatures can reach into the 90's during the day! So upon reading this, you can't say you haven't been warned!
Trust me on this one, folks!
- SUGGESTED WINTER GEAR: SNOW PANTS, DOWN JACKET, TOQUES, GLOVES AND WARM FOOTWEAR!
SUGGESTED SUMMER WEAR (During the day!): You decide!
Note: For those of you who like to hike or swim, Kentucky Alleyne Lakes is a mere 7 kms away. Just follow Loon Lake Road, going a little further west from the site and you'll come upon some of the bluest/green lakes you've ever seen!
- It's a good place to go for water as well, with fresh water and not well water. This was an upgrade at the provincial park a few years ago.
- We look forward to seeing you all there!